CORDIAL MINUET ENSEMBLE

??????

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-11-24 18:55:59

donkeyspaceman

Re: My first thoughts after playing today.

jasonrohrer wrote:

There used to be a "transfer money" option for withdrawing (where, for free, you could just pass money to another account).  But I need to make sure that I'm not operating a "Money Service Business" (like PayPal) by accident.  There are all sorts of regs that would suddenly apply.

I agree that it would be nice to be able to gift 50 cent accounts to friends.  Hmm...  Still, I can't get near the territory of sending "You've Got Money" emails.  Granted, 50 cents can't be withdrawn on it's own.  Maybe if it was limited to a certain amount or something.

The anonymity is partially to thwart money laundering (though it doesn't totally thwart intentional money passing, obviously), and also just to ensure that each new game is a fresh slate (you can't carry knowledge about a given opponent from past games, you can't intentionally pick on a weak player repeatedly, etc.)  When you join a CM game, you could be playing against a first timer or against the best player in the world.  There's no way to tell.  Also, you all know how much I don't like xxxTheBosSxxx appearing in the aesthetic fabric of my games.

I'll look at fixing that Old Balance thing in v9.

Perhaps you could limit transfers to a low amount (50 cents to a dollar is more than enough for someone to play, could probably even go lower), but also instate some sort of time limit (few hours?) before another transfer can be made? I'm not sure if that's enough to avoid dealing with the added headache of legal regulations, but it would make it easy for new players to get in without too much commitment.

I'd like to mention that I love the anonymity, btw. I completely agree that player-determined user names would ruin the aesthetic. I think the current name generation that we use to check leaderboards is very cool, but having any sort of indicator in-game would degrade it.

#27 2014-11-24 19:56:35

Sweeney669

Okay so I hate to jump in on this and go off in a slightly different direction but since it was mentioned in the OP's first post my biggest thing is this:

"4) I'd like to be able to see the list of games available to join while I am waiting for a player. I might be trying to start a game for higher stakes than someone else is comfortable with, but would be fine playing for the lower amount if I knew they were out there trying to start a game. I spent a lot of the day waiting for an opponent but having to periodically cancel so that I could confirm that there weren't other games waiting that I could be joining. Maybe this won't be as important when there are more people playing, but even then it would be nice to know what other stakes are available and to have some indication of how many other people want to play."

I didn't really see it touched upon but this is by far the biggest addition I would suggest so far. I'm not familar with poker or other gambling aspects other than "its fun" but it would be immensely helpful to see what other people are looking to play for. So far Ive had good luck with the 1-2 cent games and getting a bunch of play time but id love to see whos playing for what, incase i get the confidence to play a 5 or 10$ game, but dont want to sit around for hours because no one else is randomly searching for it.

#28 2014-11-24 21:02:42

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, I'm going to add something like this for sure.

It should probably chime if some other game stakes appear on that screen, right?  So you can wait for an opponent in the background, and at least be "woken up" if some other stakes appear.

#29 2014-11-25 06:42:33

jesterswilde

How about gift cards? Or electronic versions of them. I know a lot of games sell cards that have numbers on them that directly correlate to dollar value. It wouldn't quite be the same as transferring money, and I'm not sure it would get at what some people may want. But it would probably not be subject to regulations.

#30 2014-11-27 01:49:19

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Like the equivalent of a coupon code that is worth $5 in-game dollars that you can purchase for your friend?

#31 2014-12-02 18:54:13

Preece

Someone in the Vice article comments made a good point... what about just using Bitcoin? Or at least allowing its use. That kind of absolves you of responsibility for all the financial stuff. And you could eliminate the fees that come with depositing and withdrawing.

#32 2014-12-03 05:02:37

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Do you use Bitcoin for anything, Preece?

I kinda feel like the Bitcoin supporters are like the Ron Paul supporters---very vocal, but pretty much a non-factor when the rubber hits the road.  One guy chimes in on every comment roll saying, "You're a fool not to use Bitcoin."  Probably that's a guy who has some money invested in Bitcoin.

I'm not saying that Bitcoin isn't a good idea, but from where I sit, it basically doesn't exist in the real world.

The other problem is that Bitcoin, being anonymous and all that, further complicates all of my tax obligations and such.  I think it would turn me into at least 2x the government target that I already am.

#33 2014-12-04 21:20:29

Preece

I've never used Bitcoin! I looked into getting some a few times, but it seems like a pain in the ass tongue

Board footer