CORDIAL MINUET ENSEMBLE

??????

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-21 01:12:32

Quest Ownership

Amulets are awesome and awful.....

I love the whole idea behind amulets, but there's one little side effect about their presence that can be a little annoying. It forces you to play against players that are likely very experienced in the game. I know playing against players that are better than me will make me a stronger player, but at the same time it'd be nice to play against equally-leveled opponents on occasion. With the amulet game system, I'm playing penny games against people with $10+ profit, who seem to know my plays a lot sooner than I do.

Maybe once there are more players there could be a strictly non-amulet game to play, so I know the person on the other side is playing for the same reason, with the same risk......... but maybe this is all because I just got my ass handed to me a few times, haha. Anyway, just a thought.

#2 2015-03-21 01:15:20

claspa

Re: Amulets are awesome and awful.....

yeah, maybe 1 Cent games should not be included in the race for the amulets

#3 2015-03-21 01:53:14

jere

It's likely that when the game goes live it will be flooded with newbs and your complaint won't be an issue. Of course, you should get good before that. smile

Canto Delirium: a Twitter bot for CM. Also check out my strategy guide!

#4 2015-03-21 02:08:27

Quest Ownership

Yeah, just have to sharpen my skills before then. I want to be one of the sharks too.

#5 2015-03-21 02:25:17

AnoHito

I'm still for fixed stake amulet games, but if the stakes are going to be random, I think there at least needs to be a lower limit. Maybe even as high as $1.00. All things being equal, people who are trying to gain points on amulets are going to play at the lowest stakes possible that allow them to do so.

#6 2015-03-21 11:10:13

Is it me, or are a lot more games being played for 1c and other low stakes than usual? Could also be due to the latest batch of invites being sent out.

#7 2015-03-21 12:37:47

Dan_Dan84

.. wrote:

Is it me, or are a lot more games being played for 1c and other low stakes than usual? Could also be due to the latest batch of invites being sent out.

No, I've noticed that too.

Before the trial contest, most stakes still seemed to be below 25c, with the occasional $1-3 game. But now... 15c is the largest I usually see.

I suppose to get pulled into an amulet game, you need somebody else to join your game. I suppose it's just more likely for somebody to accept your stakes at the sub-10c level.

So yeah, player behaviour has changed, but I think that's just because so many people are amulet holders (even if only briefly). Jason has said that he doesn't care if the game experience is changed for amulet holders, as there won't be that many of them. It's different for this trial contest, where getting an amulet is relatively easy (personally, I've picked up an amulet after every game where I was the last player standing).

#8 2015-03-21 20:33:17

jasonrohrer
Administrator

It seems to be pretty much working, though, right?

No bugs remaining?

Quite a bit of activity at the higher-value amulets, and less at the lower amulets, as expected.

I went to the jewelry supply store and bought some carving wax yesterday....

#9 2015-03-22 13:09:14

Another effect is that the best players are holding the amulets, and the players creating the games are worse on average, and likely to create games at lower stakes. And if your prize is an amulet, you might as well create games at 1c and play quickly and recklessly, hoping to get lucky.

Another thing, the most valuable amulets are the most common which means also the most hopeless to win because other people have raked up lots of points on them. So I try to get rid of them and try to get my hands on amulets 3 and 4. I guess that's seen as desirable?

#10 2015-03-23 14:48:19

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, choosing which amulet to rack points on is a good way for it to work, I think.

Board footer