??????

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-27 22:33:09

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Pure Play

Just discovered this:

http://player.pureplay.com/player/regis … cMini.html

Click the little "HOW IT WORKS" in yellow next to "and more!" on the main graphic.

How to Win Cash

PurePlay offers poker tournaments which award $100,000 per month in cash prizes. These tournaments are 100% free to enter. Basic members are given instant access to a limited number of these tournaments, and can enter the remaining tournaments by simply sending a postcard to PurePlay requesting free entry. VIP members have instant access to all cash tournaments and do not need to send postcards. See terms and conditions for details. Poker is currently the only game on PurePlay where you can win cash and other prizes of value.

Those are some loop-hole threading con artists there!  Send in post cards for free entry...

#2 2015-05-27 23:54:05

jere

Re: Pure Play

I like the 90s era website. Haven't seen image maps in a while.

I actually do think it's legit though. http://www.sfexaminer.com/sanfrancisco/ … id=2597312

Canto Delirium: a Twitter bot for CM. Also check out my strategy guide!

#3 2015-05-28 02:11:02

Dan_Dan84

From The Examiner article, Pure Play's legal counsel says:

""If consideration is missing and something is free to participate in, that's a sweepstakes. If chance is missing and an activity is skill, that's a contest. And if prize is missing and you can't win anything of value, that's an amusement. Legally, Pure Play is a sweepstakes and not gambling because it's free and hence lacks the element of consideration."

The second sentence being the relevant one for CM, I guess.

Of course, the state and federal attorneys are staying quiet on this. I suppose they don't want more copycat sites springing into existence (though Pure Play's owner notes that his business model-cum-legal loophole is "patented").

#4 2015-05-28 15:29:09

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Not sure that you can patent a legal loophole...

The really funny thing is that there IS "consideration" in the form of the monthly membership fees that you have to pay in order to participate in the poker tournaments.

Of course, "no purchase necessary," so you can send in a postcard to play for free.  But doing that for each poker tournament you want to play in is pretty onerous.

I'm going to check it out and send in some postcards.  I'm pretty good at tournament poker...

Board footer