CORDIAL MINUET ENSEMBLE

??????

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-07-27 10:48:55

joshwithguitar

Is this the end?

0 games over the last 3 days.

Just 14 games in the last week, and only 3 of them bot-less.

There have been times of more and less activity in the past but nothing like this. I'm thinking it might be time to withdraw my winnings.

If this is the end then it's been a lot of fun and an interesting experience all up. And it's been great playing games with you guys.

#2 2015-07-27 17:03:12

Cobblestone

Re: Is this the end?

I've been wondering the same thing. All last week, I was the only player on whenever I opened the game.

I still really love CM, and I think this community is great. I'm not sure what happened. I never did get to have the big local CM party I wanted, but I really did try to get my friends to play. I live streamed several times and wrote a few blog posts too, but even then, the few friends and followers who did join didn't seem to stick around too long.

I think a mobile version or the cashless Steam version that was discussed could reinvigorate interest, but I'm not sure how much more effort Jason wants to put in at this point.

Anyway, I may not be playing as often as I have in the past, but I'll stick around a little bit longer to play here and there.
Josh, if you're out, it's been great playing with you, even if I always struggled against you! Take care and keep in touch.

#3 2015-07-27 21:27:52

Professor Chin

At the moment I'v got 22$ and I'd really like to play some 5-10$ tournaments rather than withdraw.

Unfortunately the actual ones are 3am to 6am in my time zone which are out of reach in my time zone... at least until next week's holidays smile

I'd like to see one or more "farewell tournaments" which could be an occasion for old players to come and join last fight and meet up in Chatzy before eventually withdraw or retire.

#4 2015-07-28 03:40:47

Are any of those live-streamed games viewable online?

I guess a community of early adopters isn't a long term one, as they probably move onto other things quickly as well.

I still enjoy the game but I assumed I would always be able to play it later, so sort of saw no reason to actually make an effort to join tournaments and so on rather than chase other interests. I would be quite sad to not be able to play anymore, but I don't think it's impossible yet.

I would join another tournament if the hours are alright and it's not in the next few days. I think it could still easily attract a lot of people.

I think a mobile version or the cashless Steam version that was discussed could reinvigorate interest,

I feel guilty for saying that I was working on an android port, in the face of a couple other people interested in doing the same, and then dropping the project half-finished. I've got to put something up.

The CM bot known as String Corn (this constitutes a public announcement, I guess) has not been playing many games lately because it runs on my netbook which has been quite unreliable; going down because of wifi and router problems, accidentally suspending, etc. If CM is at these lows I might as well release the entire source code.

Last edited by .. (2015-07-28 03:41:31)

#5 2015-07-28 12:36:30

jere

I too have really enjoyed this game. Not only that, but through it I have met some VERY cool people.

As usual I have ideas for what could be done to generate interest (e.g. trying to appeal to people who might want to write bots). But I realize that no matter what campaign you come up with to generate interest you first have to generate interest in the campaign itself. It's a chicken and egg problem. I suppose all multiplayer games are doomed to fade out eventually and the lower your starting point, the sooner you hit zero.

I do want to try to record a couple more games, but after that I'll probably take out most of my balance. I guess I'll leave a few bucks in there under the assumption that the servers will be maintained for a while.

Anyway, I think it's safe to say that if Jason makes another game, we'll see each other again there. smile

Canto Delirium: a Twitter bot for CM. Also check out my strategy guide!

#6 2015-07-28 15:51:18

claspa

I am quite sad about how it is turning out.

I have very good experiences with CM.
It is a lot of fun to play, I had really intense matches and it helped me to pass a rather tough time while keeping my brain active.

Due to CM I also meet some great people. It's interesting that in a game, where you are fighting over each others money, friendships can happen. I hope I can stay in touch with most of them.

I am not really active anymore as I have a job now. Also I will probably lose some money, as I am more of a tournament player.

Thank you, Jason, for this great game and thank you, community smile

#7 2015-07-28 18:24:57

Cobblestone

.. wrote:

Are any of those live-streamed games viewable online?

Yes, but only one (for now). I was originally streaming through Steam's interface just to friends, but that doesn't archive anywhere. I made a Twitch account recently, and I have one broadcast I did on there that I've archived onto YouTube. I'd be reluctant to link it since it isn't on a Cobblestone account, but at this point what the hell. I guess now you'll know why I wanted the Cat Face amulet so much! I haven't watched it all the way through since I recorded it, so hopefully I don't sound like an idiot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXMsSC4Re8g

I hope it's possible to keep playing for a while longer. I truly love this game and want it to survive.

A tournament would be fun. If there's interest, we should really try to organize more community events together so we have a better idea of when some of us would be on. Actually, it'd be neat if the client had the ability for us to create on-the-fly tournaments... not sure how realistic it would be to implement that, or if Jason would want to spend the time on it at this point.

I know I've been saying it forever, but I still want to host a party. Also more live-streaming and such. It's just finding the time and audience. Should we make a thread to gather ideas to get CM back out into the wild? I'm sure if we all worked together, we might be able to get something going. Maybe we could issue a challenge to Markiplier or something tongue

You guys said it though, I'm so glad for this game and this community. You're all awesome!

#8 2015-07-30 02:23:42

Dan_Dan84

I was wondering who'd be the person to finally ask the big question. Should've known it'd be Josh... smile

The game has been an amazing experience, and I'm glad to have virtually met you all. See you in the next game...

#9 2015-08-11 21:16:30

jasonrohrer
Administrator

The problem with me trying to take on other "promotion" or "audience-building" efforts here is that I've already sunk something like $14K into promoting the game and gotten close to $0 back out of it, for a huge net loss.

It was always a risky, experimental thing to try.  Making a game played for real money.  That's totally crazy!

So, I'm happy that it generated cool, unique experience for... the 1438 people who tried it.

For what it's worth, The Castle Doctrine currently has more daily active players than this game, and that game is 1.5 years post-launch at this point.  Some things catch on, and others don't.

#10 2015-08-11 22:04:36

Cobblestone

I'm really sorry to hear that, Jason. It's totally understandable that you wouldn't want to put any more in to it at the point.
I'm thankful that you did it though, regardless of the risk. I think at this point, any audience building will need to be done by us in the community, as long as the server remains.

#11 2015-08-11 22:35:52

jasonrohrer
Administrator

The server will be maintained until I die, most likely.  There is very little upkeep on my part.

#12 2015-08-11 23:32:23

Professor Chin

It's nice that the server won't be shut down!

Maybe it would be feasible to give a community member you trust (someone like Jere or Josh) the possibility to edit the tournaments dates and stakes?

#13 2015-08-18 09:35:05

cullman

In the interest of injecting some life into this game.  I will take on any challenger that contacts me via email or this board that is willing to bet their entire account and makes a gentleperson's agreement with me that we will not leave the game until all the chips are sent to one side of the table.  Offer only valid where the value of the challenger's account is greater than $20 and less than the value of the current value of my account (which is currently $481).  If you are one of the two people with more money in the game than me, then we will play for entire value of my account.

#14 2015-08-18 13:44:33

Professor Chin

cullman wrote:

In the interest of injecting some life into this game.  I will take on any challenger that contacts me via email or this board that is willing to bet their entire account and makes a gentleperson's agreement with me that we will not leave the game until all the chips are sent to one side of the table.  Offer only valid where the value of the challenger's account is greater than $20 and less than the value of the current value of my account (which is currently $481).  If you are one of the two people with more money in the game than me, then we will play for entire value of my account.

Oh, that's quite exciting (and scary)!

Cullman, I take the challenge up.
My account is $25 and I agree not to leave the game until one the two stakes is zero.

I live in Europe with 9 hours shift form PDT... I'll write you via mail to try and arrange a time which is feasible for you.

#15 2015-08-18 23:06:53

cullman

Professor Chin wrote:

My account is $25 and I agree not to leave the game until one the two stakes is zero.

Well played, Professor Chin!  Next Challenger!

#16 2015-08-18 23:19:38

Professor Chin

Wow, it was a long and tense game... went low on stack at the beginning, then recovered a couple of times, but never managed to get dominant...

Well I think that's it for the good old Prof.
It was an exciting way to end it all, hope somebody else will take up the challenge smile

#17 2015-08-18 23:23:37

jere

Kudos, Chin, for taking up the challenge! That was brave.

It sounds like an interesting offer, but here personally I'd like to keep at least some money in so I can show people the game in the future.

Canto Delirium: a Twitter bot for CM. Also check out my strategy guide!

#18 2015-08-18 23:34:27

cullman

jere wrote:

Kudos, Chin, for taking up the challenge! That was brave.

It sounds like an interesting offer, but here personally I'd like to keep at least some money in so I can show people the game in the future.

Jere, I'm sure you'd beat me, and of course you could always deposit more money, in the slim chance you lost.

#19 2015-08-19 00:07:14

Cobblestone

Professor, nooooooooo! Jere's right, you're a brave soul for giving this a shot. Sorry to see you go sad
This is such an exciting and overwhelmingly scary challenge... it's going to be interesting to see how this goes.

#20 2015-09-13 14:22:41

Defiant00

cullman wrote:
Professor Chin wrote:

Well played, Professor Chin!  Next Challenger!

If this challenge is still open, I'll take you up on it. I've got $20 and some cents still left in my account. Seems like a fun and memorable way to close out playing CM.

Insect College

#21 2015-09-15 12:52:25

Professor Chin

Defiant00 wrote:

If this challenge is still open, I'll take you up on it. I've got $20 and some cents still left in my account. Seems like a fun and memorable way to close out playing CM.

That's nice. Definitely it's a worthy closure to end the ride with a final boss smile

Keep us posted!

#22 2015-09-15 18:32:27

Defiant00

I've emailed him, will definitely post here if/when we play smile

Insect College

#23 2015-09-26 10:30:42

cullman

Defiant00 wrote:

I've emailed him, will definitely post here if/when we play smile

Challenge is still open. I missed your email somehow so I will send you an email.

I was coming on the board today to announce my retirement. I am planning to extend the challenge another 30 days. I am happy to stick to the existing terms. However, in order to drum up more challengers I am also offering this version :

- if you are below me in ELO rank I will play you for either 80%, 90% or 100% of your bank. If you wager me 100% I will reveal my first cell for the first 3 rounds. 90% the first 2 rounds and 80% I will reveal my first cell on just the first round.

- if you are above me in ELO and wager 100% of your stack original rules apply, if you only want to wager 90% you will reveal me your first cell on the first two rounds, 80% the first cell on the first round.

The revelations will take place on Chatzy. Let me know if there are any new takers for the new scheme. Otherwise my $400/$500 is leaving the game in 30 days.

cullman

#24 2015-09-26 13:28:01

Defiant00

I've re-emailed you; hopefully we'll get to do this sometime soon smile

Insect College

#25 2015-09-29 21:45:28

Nate

Hey Cayce, email me when youre done playing Defiant. I'll take the original 100% challenge even though I'm somehow way below you in ELO tongue.

I was planning on recording the audio/video of me explaining my strategy during this challenge. Then if you want, you can supply the audio of you playing while explaining your tactics and I'll edit together some commentary. I like this approach because it won't affect the strategy of the game as much as having us be in skype during the match. Plus it would give the viewer a take on everyone's perspective including some hindsight and commentary.

I always felt bad that I didn't do a good job of explaining my strategy to new players (in fact I made it seem like I preyed on new players, which was true, but new players could have avoided my preying completely by practicing 1 cent games-- which I never went out of my way to explain). So maybe this will be a chance to get new people into the game and hopefully revitalize the game as much as I can. It's worth noting that my strategy is not much different from Jere's, who has been very transparent about his play style from the beginning and of course has a guide posted on these forums.

Board footer