CORDIAL MINUET ENSEMBLE

??????

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-12-29 20:36:27

mzo

Fold on No Raise

Many times when I get a really bad first pick (i.e. a 1) I'd like to just fold, so I don't raise. More often than you'd think, my opponent also doesn't raise. This forces me to stay in the game until they do raise. While there are definitely times I want to stay in with no raise, there are many times that its just a huge waste of time for both players. It would be really nice to be able to fold in the no raise situation. I assume this option currently doesn't exist because the fold button is only displayed when prompting to match a raise. Right now I have to leave a game instead and be "that guy". Now I understand why that player was doing that to me. I certainly don't want to have to play out every bad starting hand.

#2 2014-12-29 20:59:41

computermouth

Re: Fold on No Raise

Well, I might make a guess that quitting the game, hosting a new one and hoping for another player might take longer in the end.

And having an auto-fold option seems a bit premature. You could hit the nuts on a 36 and 35 (netting you a solid 72), you won't know until that second turn, and by that time, it's probably going to be faster to just wait the round out and you still got to make sure that it was indeed a bad round.

Try Linux, get free. #!++ (CrunchbangPlusPlus) is a stable distribution based on Debian 8. Keep it fast, keep it pretty.

#3 2014-12-29 21:40:20

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Poker rooms allow you to fold when you don't have to, but they throw up all kinds of warnings... ARE YOU SURE, WHY FOLD?

Essentially, folding when you don't have to is always sub-optimal play.  Just because you got the banana on the first pick doesn't mean you're going to lose, but folding guarantees it.

#4 2014-12-29 21:56:51

mzo

While that's definitely true in poker, I think there's an important difference in CM. In poker you can fold without revealing ANY information about your hand. In CM anytime you play you are potentially revealing picking preferences. Also the columns with extremely low numbers also often have the higher (30+) numbers. That means a very low intial pick increases the chances of a low total AND reduces my chances of a long shot high number. My main interest in folding early was to avoid wasting what limited playing time I have just to save 1 coin in a low stakes game for a long shot. My 5 minutes is more valuable than 1 penny.

That being said I thought about what you said and decided I'll just use those bad hands to provide misinformation and learn more about their picking strategies.

#5 2014-12-29 23:25:02

Preece

Use it as a chance to sew misinformation about your picking strat wink

#6 2014-12-30 02:34:04

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Staying in a Holdem hand instead of folding does reveal progressively more information about your hand (each new table card shows them a card that is NOT in your hand).  Yes, the narrowing is way more extreme in CM.

I get what you're saying about not wasting time.  I'd say, "Sure, I'll turn on that button," but I'm wondering if its presence would confuse some players.  If the fold button is there, it kinda implies you have to risk more to continue, so some players might not realize they can continue for free.

#7 2014-12-30 02:38:14

mzo

Good points all around. Probably makes sense to just hold off on turning it on unless there's more demand for it. I'll just take more advantage of the free ride so it's not a waste of time. Thanks!

#8 2014-12-31 16:16:07

I also think that a fold button would be very nice, though I wouldn't always use it. But also some of my opponents will smile. Folding 1 coin when you don't have to is only suboptimal in expected value, but can easily increase your profit per minute and probably also the rate at which you learn about your opponent's later game strategy.

You could add a "Really fold?" prompt to help indicate that it's a suboptimal move. Besides, any player will learn that betting nothing is not a commitment very quickly.

Last edited by .. (2014-12-31 16:17:06)

Board footer