CORDIAL MINUET ENSEMBLE

??????

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-19 14:17:59

Illuminati

Possible Chat Between Players?

Hey,

I was just wondering if anyone has thought of integrating a chat off to the side of the game so that the players can chat. If we're comparing this to online poker (I hate doing this comparison) then if you get a really good hand you can kind of play a mind game with your opponent. Also it would be cool to boast a bit about playing your biggest poker face and winning the game.

Anyway, that's really all I've noticed that the game could have added.

Last edited by Illuminati (2015-01-19 14:18:22)

#2 2015-01-19 14:21:50

jere

Re: Possible Chat Between Players?

Here you go.

It exists and is often popular.

Last edited by jere (2015-01-19 14:23:24)

Canto Delirium: a Twitter bot for CM. Also check out my strategy guide!

#3 2015-01-19 16:04:44

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I intentionally did NOT include chat in the game.

First, there's the issue of aesthetic pollution.  I don't want "LOLZ" being part of the game world.  I did the same thing for The Castle Doctrine.  Hearthstone and Demons Souls do a similar thing, but they allow you to only pick your communications from a static list of options.  Still, in Hearthstone, this leads to silliness, with people usually saying the opposite of what they mean (them saying "Well Played" when they just won).

Second, I can imagine some players abusing other players through chat.  Bovada poker is anonymous in that you can't track your opponent across games, but they still have a chat feature in a given game, and I've seen it used abusively.

Finally, I really like the idea of communicating THROUGH the game itself.  What does the entrance layout of your house SAY in The castle Doctrine?  What does your bet say in Cordial Minuet?  I want to keep the focus on that kind of through-the-game communication.

#4 2015-01-19 17:39:43

claspa

jasonrohrer wrote:

Second, I can imagine some players abusing other players through chat.  Bovada poker is anonymous in that you can't track your opponent across games, but they still have a chat feature in a given game, and I've seen it used abusively.

Finally, I really like the idea of communicating THROUGH the game itself.  What does the entrance layout of your house SAY in The castle Doctrine?  What does your bet say in Cordial Minuet?  I want to keep the focus on that kind of through-the-game communication.

I am totally on the same page here. Don't miss an ingame chat at all.

Last edited by claspa (2015-01-20 01:45:07)

#5 2015-01-20 01:40:03

computermouth

Please no in-game chat ever. The unofficial chat is great, but I'd definitely prefer to never talk to anyone I am/have played against.

Try Linux, get free. #!++ (CrunchbangPlusPlus) is a stable distribution based on Debian 8. Keep it fast, keep it pretty.

#6 2015-01-20 09:35:50

I'm sure that the majority of players (including me) feel that way, and even if we didn't, Jason could never be convinced to change it anyway.

#7 2015-01-20 12:42:47

Illuminati

jere wrote:

Here you go.

It exists and is often popular.

This is perfect, exactly what I was looking for!

Board footer