CORDIAL MINUET ENSEMBLE

??????

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-19 04:40:51

Dan_Dan84

Couldn't connect to game --> registered as a loss

So this happened to me just now:

I saw a $0.01 game (yes, I'm a high roller) and decided to join. For about half a minute, I had server connection problems, with the white dots at the top turning orange, and finally the red ! box appearing.

After at least 3 attempts to connect to the server, I saw the "Waiting for Opponent" sign with the cancel button. I stayed there for about 20 seconds. I assumed that while I was having server connection problems, someone else had hopped in and joined the game, so I was just sitting as an unopened 1c game. I decided to cancel and do something else.

The game took me to the "post-game summary" page, indicating that I had lost $0.0007 (I guess one coin for the first ante, and six more for leaving), even though I had never actually joined a game! Of course this doesn't bother me, but if I had been playing for higher stakes, it would have.

Any ideas about what happened there?

Last edited by Dan_Dan84 (2015-02-19 04:43:40)

#2 2015-02-19 16:03:04

Illuminati

Re: Couldn't connect to game --> registered as a loss

Internet issues? I've had that before... The red box is familiar.

#3 2015-02-20 19:30:02

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Sometimes network outages or server outages happen.  This is the reality of servers and networks, sadly.

The other sad thing is that the server can't tell the difference between a "real" outage and a "false" outage that someone is trying to use to save themselves from a loss.  You know, make a bad move and then pull the plug to save yourself.

What happened here is that you joined the game, and the server got your join instruction, and then you lost connection.  By the time you reconnected, the minute timeout had happened in that game.  So your opponent saw the game start up and then saw you essentially go "away from keyboard" and abandon the game.... they waited for a minute for you to make your first move, but you never made the move.  They were awarded the ante and the 6 chip penalty as a result.

Then, when you finally reconnected, your client was still waiting for the game to start, so you saw that waiting screen.  But at that point, you were waiting for a fresh game, because the first one had already ended.

Whenever you CANCEL from that screen, it executes the leave_game action on the server.  That action will show you the last filed "leaving report" for the last game you were part of, if there is one.  In this case, it was from the game that ended because of the connection loss.

I agree that it would be even more bothersome at higher stakes, but again, I can't see any way around it.  It is a two-player game, after all, and we need to be fair to both.  In the case of a network outage, we favor the player who is still connected.

That doesn't mean it doesn't suck when it happens, and I'm sorry that it happened to you!

Fortunately, it's a pretty rare occurrence.

#4 2015-02-21 04:59:07

Dan_Dan84

jasonrohrer wrote:

I agree that it would be even more bothersome at higher stakes, but again, I can't see any way around it.  It is a two-player game, after all, and we need to be fair to both.  In the case of a network outage, we favor the player who is still connected.

That doesn't mean it doesn't suck when it happens, and I'm sorry that it happened to you!

Fortunately, it's a pretty rare occurrence.

Yeah, it's only happened to me once. I just thought it was odd, because I usually join a game instantly when I click on an already opened game. But I guess I had joined the game; I just didn't know it...

Board footer