CORDIAL MINUET ENSEMBLE

??????

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-08 05:43:16

Fun House

Why do You play?

?

I don't know why I find this more enjoyable than any other game I've ever played before in my life.

funnnnnnn

#2 2015-02-08 06:15:20

computermouth

Re: Why do You play?

All the high-tension of competitive strategy games with a tangible reward (or loss).

Try Linux, get free. #!++ (CrunchbangPlusPlus) is a stable distribution based on Debian 8. Keep it fast, keep it pretty.

#3 2015-02-08 06:54:15

Fun House

computermouth wrote:

All the high-tension of competitive strategy games with a tangible reward (or loss).

How much does your strategy actually do anything in your opinion?

The times I've used a RNG vs. strat doesn't seem to make much of a diff in outcome, which is part of the appeal to me.

It's almost like satiating my mpd by thinking for "2" people at the same time.

funnnnnnn

#4 2015-02-08 14:39:19

computermouth

I won $15 in 3 games this week. 2 of those games, I was able to find my opponents strategy and counter it. The 3rd one was just shooting in the dark. You don't have to play with strategy. But I'd recommend always watching for patterns from your opponents.

Try Linux, get free. #!++ (CrunchbangPlusPlus) is a stable distribution based on Debian 8. Keep it fast, keep it pretty.

#5 2015-02-10 11:33:55

Well, there's picking strategy and betting strategy. Using a RNG for betting in a careless way should end in disaster unless you're working out that you'll bet with X% chance and rolling a dice to decide.

Edit: wow, I misread the title of this thread as "When do you play?"
I think that, as Jason has said, when you lose or win it always feels like your own fault (even if it wasn't), is a big component of the appeal of this game. It's hard for me to give a complete answer though.

Last edited by .. (2015-02-10 11:36:26)

#6 2015-02-10 12:33:46

Illuminati

Play because.... Caaaaaaaaaaaaassssssh moneeeeeyyyyyyyyy!

#7 2015-02-11 11:35:18

Well, some of us lose money. Which is why I stick to low stakes.

#8 2015-02-12 03:26:26

PersonGuy

I like that in almost every showdown one of us has their expectations reversed (believed it was a win, but was duped into a loss).

#9 2015-02-19 05:21:54

Dan_Dan84

PersonGuy wrote:

I like that in almost every showdown one of us has their expectations reversed (believed it was a win, but was duped into a loss).

That's definitely part of it. There's no better feeling than knowing you have a win, and slowly baiting your opponent into meeting your raises... But even when I'm on the losing side of this situation (which happens more often that I'd care to admit), it's still satisfying somehow. Perhaps it's because I don't feel like I was beaten by "the god of chance," but rather by an opponent who just got good at reading me and/or outfoxed me in the betting. Or maybe their RNG just handed them a victory. wink

I also think the whole setup is really clever and fascinating. It seems so simple on the surface, but the strategy (and I think using a RNG on occasion is a strategy) can really get quite deep.

The reversals of fortune are fun, too. I mean, I'm only playing for low stakes right now, but still it's exciting watching the coins go back and forth, and even when it's my opponent who ends up with the lion's share of the coins at the end, I still feel like it was an exciting game-- even if it was played for less than a nickel.

And also, it's fun shouting stuff at the computer screen, not having to worry about keeping a "poker face." wink

#10 2015-03-03 03:10:55

Dan_Dan84

Illuminati wrote:

Play because.... Caaaaaaaaaaaaassssssh moneeeeeyyyyyyyyy!

OK, I know this is partially tongue-in-cheek, but I'm curious: how much does the "money factor" actually contribute to the excitement?

I'm still sticking to low stakes until I have a better hold on what I'm doing, but I still find the game very exciting, even when I'm only playing for a couple of cents. Now, I know that's still "real money," but really, it's sort of not. In a way, even $20 isn't "real money:" your life's not going to change dramatically if you lose $20 while playing this game. Then again, losing $20 a day over a whole week might...

My point is: Jason has said that the "playing for real money" aspect is the beating heart of the game, and it just wouldn't be the same without it. But how much do you reckon playing for real money factors into your actual enjoyment of the game? Personally, even when I only have a penny invested in a game, my heart still pounds right before the final reveal...

#11 2015-03-03 07:26:56

context fabric

The money factor is variable from player to player. People who are well off and in a very high tax bracket playing for $100 might mean nothing to them. Then there is the majority of players who would consider $10 to be a big loss.

There is the simple desire to win as well. Ive player a few penny games late a night when thats all I can find, and Ill go all in the first round. (Again sorry, wasn't trying to bully you.) I didn't care if I won or lost because the wager was so low. However, if those games dragged on for more than 5 rounds, and both of us were still even in chips, I became "emotionally invested" because I had an opponent who presented a challange.

#12 2015-03-03 10:27:54

Cobblestone

I really enjoy the thinking and strategy involved. I love getting those moments of insight where I know either what I'm going to be given or what I've given my opponent. I had a pretty bad losing streak recently, but besides that I haven't been doing too badly. Also, I don't feel as bad wasting time pointlessly browsing the internet if I've got the game open on the other monitor waiting for an opponent.

#13 2015-03-03 22:24:52

jasonrohrer
Administrator

After losing my shirt a few times in online poker (an admittedly tiny shirt, but I've decided to get better before playing for real money again), I've been playing a lot of poker for play money.

On one site, you can get back up to $1000 for free whenever you have less than $1000.

So... this is play money, it shouldn't matter, right?

But once you get up to $5000 and start playing at higher stakes, it starts to matter.  You worked hard to get that $5000 play money bankroll, and you don't want to squander it.  Doesn't this weaken my claim that real money is necessary?

The point with Cordial Minuet is that you should always be playing for something that matters.  Real money is the most direct route to that, because you can never get more of that "for free."  In Cordial Minuet, this goes all the way to the bottom.

On poker sites that give you free play money, there's a tier below which the play money really doesn't matter.  For example, sub-$1000 games.  You can get $1000 more instantly if you bust.  Down there, play is twisted terribly.  People go all-in all the time.  Why not?

Sadly, the poker sites don't let you play extremely low real money stakes.  The smallest big blind is always a nickle, I think.  So you've always got $5 at the table.  You can never have just a penny at the table.  So, it's either "money that really matters" (lose 10 games and you're out $50), or free money that doesn't matter at all until you amass quite a bit of it.

Another option would be to allow people to buy more play money with real money.  PokerStars does it this way.

That seems very odd to me, though... it's like a real money version of poker that simply never lets you cash out.

Board footer