CORDIAL MINUET ENSEMBLE

??????

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-07 10:34:44

Cobblestone

Coin Movement for Opponent Check

I just wanted to make sure I understood something regarding coin movement on bets. If you raise during a betting stage but your opponent checks, the coins don't move, right? Is there any indication at all that they've bet 0, or are they getting a free peek at your raise? If that's the case, it seems like there's a bit of an advantage there since they're making a decision I'm not aware of, and it gives a bit of an opportunity to bully.

Unless I'm just not noticing something?

#2 2015-03-07 12:51:44

storeroom leaflet

Re: Coin Movement for Opponent Check

You're not missing anything. You could wait until your timer was nearly up before betting, when if you have to wait you're almost certain they have had to think about your raise. In general though if they've put in the same amount of chips as you then the chances are they saw your bet and called it rather than picked the same amount.

#3 2015-03-09 20:27:59

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, this is how it's supposed to work.  I'm trying to do something new here with the betting that hasn't been done before.  The fact that the lower bettor gets more information tends to exert a downward pressure on the bets, but that's an interesting counter-balance to the upward pressures on betting that also exist in any betting game.

#4 2015-03-10 01:58:30

Cobblestone

Ok, that makes sense then.

I guess the information I'm really missing is when I've raised and someone's raised more than me. I'm left to wonder if they're trying to convey confidence by betting that much outright, or if they thought my bet was weak and are trying to force a fold. It hasn't really affected my game at all, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't lacking information everyone else knew about.

Thanks!

#5 2015-03-10 02:03:23

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, you never know for sure, though timing might give you some information.

Board footer