CORDIAL MINUET ENSEMBLE

??????

You are not logged in.

#26 2015-03-01 22:17:11

context fabric

Re: Slow play or slow server?

Personally I think anything less than a min is too short of a time.  If you dont have adequite time to study the board it becomes less skill and more chance. Thats why Im for the chess timer scenario.

Edit:
Also I think a good feature to add is: if you run out of time (get gonged and the timer hits 0) it should only count as a leave if you havent selected anything for you or your opponent. Otherwise it goes with your last received picks.

Last edited by context fabric (2015-03-02 08:31:58)

#27 2015-03-07 15:21:11

Professor Chin

The more I play the more I think that betting time could be lowered a bit.

It is of course a very significant choice, but in way it's less "complex" than picking.

Also I think that it would affect less the "style" of the game compared to lowering picking time... though it could induce some conservative players to some panic call or panic fold smile

#28 2015-03-09 20:25:15

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Well, I'm using the Online Poker model here, where you get the same time for all your moves.  Of course, there the only move is betting...

And Jere has shown some pretty complex analysis going on when making bets in the later turns.  After all, the betting turn is the turn where you get to study the new information your opponent just gave you...

#29 2015-03-09 23:31:53

AnoHito

Personally, I've found that the existing time limits are right about where they should be. Sometimes I run short of time and have to make a hasty decision without completely thinking things through, and sometimes the correct choice is so obvious it only takes me the amount of time I need to move the selectors. But I think the average amount of time I use for picking is around 50% of the time limit, which is pretty much ideal. For betting I usually use a lot less than the available time, although there are times (such as deciding whether to call an all in raise) where I really need the full time to make a good decision. So overall, I think the limits are right about where they should be. If they were decreased, I know I would have some serious problem fully analyzing a lot of board layouts in time, and that would increase the incentive to use automated tools to help me make decisions.

Last edited by AnoHito (2015-03-09 23:32:29)

#30 2015-03-10 02:11:52

Cobblestone

Sometimes I take my time during the betting stage, because I use that time to study the board and graph for the next round in addition to actually betting. I'm not just putting money in based on what I got during the last round of picks, but what I could potentially get the next round. So I like the time limit where it is.

#31 2015-03-10 08:38:08

Dan_Dan84

Cobblestone wrote:

Sometimes I take my time during the betting stage, because I use that time to study the board and graph for the next round in addition to actually betting. I'm not just putting money in based on what I got during the last round of picks, but what I could potentially get the next round. So I like the time limit where it is.

Ditto. Being able to determine your potential for getting higher numbers is a necessary skill for deciding when to raise, call, and fold. I've learned that even getting a 36 and, say, a 27 doesn't mean you should go all in. If you see that your opponent will likely give you a 4 on the last pick, you should think your bet (or response to a bet) through.

So yeah, I also like the time limits the way they are. As I said earlier, though, there are moments where I wish the game was a little snappier-- usually when we're all-in and the betting (and even reveal step) are unnecessary. But Jason has said that he's going to fix that eventually.

#32 2015-03-10 17:57:01

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, the extra bet-0 steps when all-in have been removed in source and will be released in v16.

Board footer