CORDIAL MINUET ENSEMBLE

??????

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-14 07:47:38

Dan_Dan84

Sound suggestion

OK, I know we're all thinking about the launch contest, but while playing the game recently, I had an idea about sound. I know it's not priority (and it may be a pain to implement), but just putting it out there.

As I've said before, I love the chime sound. It really fits the theme, and it's exciting when it announces the game is starting.

Normally, you only hear the chime during the game when there's been a period of inactivity (e.g. after server connection problems are solved, or your opponent has taken his/her sweet time picking). One happy coincidence happened to me once: the chime sounded upon revealing my opponent's final score. I thought that was really cool.

So, my thought: could the chime only be used to announce the start of a game and the final reveal? And then some more low-key sound (like a bell) to signal the player to "wake up, you have a choice to make?"

I just like the circularity of it: the game starts with the chime, and each round (assuming nobody folds) ends with the chime. It just made the final reveal that much more dramatic.

Anyway, I know it's not priority at this time. But just a thought.

#2 2015-03-15 01:02:33

jere

Re: Sound suggestion

Sounds like a sound suggestion.

Canto Delirium: a Twitter bot for CM. Also check out my strategy guide!

#3 2015-03-15 01:36:25

Dan_Dan84

jere wrote:

Sounds like a sound suggestion.

I know, after I wrote this, I thought about adding a "no pun intended" disclaimer.

#4 2015-03-16 14:46:04

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I really wanted it to make sound only when necessary.  It's a "wake up" sound, mostly.  But I'll think about this.

#5 2015-03-19 02:55:31

I like the idea too. It seems that an setting to disable all unnecessary sounds would be in order.

#6 2015-03-19 03:10:18

Dan_Dan84

So I'm playing v16 of the game, and I like the fact that all redundant "Bet 0" stages have been removed. It does make the game zippier, especially at the exciting moment when a player is all-in.

However, I've found that I often "miss" the final reveal, as it usually happens when there's either a flurry of chips or a bunch of paint strokes (both to show the first reveal, and then the final reveal). It makes the final reveal a bit anti-climactic.

Again, I know it's not priority, but a sound (either the chime, or some other distinctive sound) would be good to signal that all information has now been revealed. Then again, you don't want that sound messing up the chips sound (since the final reveal often happens while the final bets are being tossed into the pot).

#7 2015-03-19 03:18:16

Cobblestone

A small part of me wants to suggest the BWAAAM sound from the trailer, but the rest of me knows that's exactly what not to suggest.

#8 2015-03-20 03:49:15

computermouth

I haven't tried it, but I imagine you'd be able to swap out the sound/image files where you'd like in the asset folders.

Try Linux, get free. #!++ (CrunchbangPlusPlus) is a stable distribution based on Debian 8. Keep it fast, keep it pretty.

Board footer