You are not logged in.

#26 2015-04-01 16:32:18

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Yikes, a month and 10 days gone...

CaravanDisturber wrote:

3. Fake Name 272
4. Caravan Distuber 272

Caravan, that's just laziness on my part.  It's easiest to just loop through the list in the code and ignore the ties, and I figure that for the leaderboard, it really doesn't matter.  For the tournament code (long ago we ran tournaments, will do so again after launch), I fixed it so that there can be two third-place people, etc., because it really matters there.

Josh:

Sorry that I failed to respond to that idea.

In my experience (from the Castle Doctrine), checking for cheating manually is a nightmare.  If people know that cheating is possible, they'll report stuff to me all the time (an anonymous game makes it even worse).  Most of the time, these will be false reports, but each will have to be investigated.  This takes time, and it's easy for ME to see patterns where there are none.  In TCD, I actually falsely accused someone of cheating at least once...  that was a pretty horrible experience for me... and the accused!

And imagine if I get no reports.  Do I just blindly mail out 36 amulets?  No, I'd probably want to check each one.  Combing through logs and history 36 times...

Last night in Rust, some dude sky-leaped into my house, sky-leaped back out again, and ran away at 10x normal speed.  How's that VAC working out, Valve?  Should I report this guy?  To who?  Who would check it out?

As a computer-science guy, I learned early on not to try for "work around" solutions to impossible problems (the halting problem and all that).  I remember some interview with Steve Jobs where he said, "We've got some of the very smartest people working on this here at Apple, and they're saying that DRM is fundamentally impossible."  Somebody gets it, yes!

The Castle Doctrine cemented this for me---I'll never make a multiplayer game with sensitive client-side code again.  Cordial Minuet is cheat-proof (assuming that there aren't bugs).  End of story.

#27 2015-04-01 18:06:03

Ghost Amount

jasonrohrer wrote:
CaravanDisturber wrote:

3. Fake Name 272
4. Caravan Distuber 272

The Castle Doctrine cemented this for me---I'll never make a multiplayer game with sensitive client-side code again.  Cordial Minuet is cheat-proof (assuming that there aren't bugs).  End of story.

AMEN

#28 2015-04-02 12:45:25

Apreche

Why can't we just have a good old fashioned tournament? It's not exciting or unique, but it works. It could be swiss, single elimination, or any of the other tried and true tournament formats. It's easier to find a way for people to schedule 5-10 minutes to play a game against each other than it is to try to beat collusion. There could be an entry fee to get into the tournament, so if someone wants to enter a whole bunch of accounts, so be it. All the entry fees would combine into a prize pool that would be distributed amongst the top few players.

Board footer