CORDIAL MINUET ENSEMBLE

??????

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-04-19 08:54:03

Dan_Dan84

Memorable CM Games

So, it looks like the format of the test contest is set, and all that's left is for Jason to finish crafting the amulets, one of which will soon find its way into my hand (hope springs eternal).

So in the meantime, I thought it might be fun to share some of our most memorable CM matches. It could be a memorable win, a devastating loss, or something really funny and unexpected (I'm thinking of .txt's match, when the final score after a long back-and-forth match was 35 to 22).

Maybe you'll see yourself in one of these descriptions.

I'll go first. I might be off on some of the details, but not the main events.

1) A while ago, back when I first started playing, I got into a match with an opponent who seemed a bit predictable. I was leading in coins.

On the first pick of a later round, I gave my opponent the column with the 36. Right after, he bet half his coins. Based on past patterns, I figured he really had the 36 and wasn't bluffing. Since I got the highest number in my assigned row, the 28 (he was consistently minimaxing me), I figured I'd call his bet.

After the next pick, he pushed his remaining coins into the pot, suggesting he had got the 35 in the column I had just given him. Even though I only got the 19 on this pick, mousing over the remaining columns and seeing what was left suggested that I could probably still get a win. So I called his all in.

On the last pick, he got the 6, and I got the 34. I won the game, 81 to 77, even though he had the top two numbers on the board.

I wish I could say that game was for more than a nickel.

2) During the first amulet test contest, I was holding the $100 amulet. I finally got into an amulet match with someone, who I would later learn was to become a certain multiple test contest winner.

As this was the first test contest, I didn't know what the stakes were. As it could have been as much as $3, I played hard (and by "hard" I mean "somewhat cowardly"). There was a lot of back and forth, and the ante was getting higher and higher.

By round 20 or so, I had started picking completely randomly, as I no longer trusted my intuition. Neither of us dared to raise until after the third pick, scared that we'd either squander a high score or have the bad luck of attempting a bluff the odd time our opponent actually had a good score.

Finally, around round 29, my opponent went all in after the third pick, and I followed. The final reveal? A one point difference between our scores. I had won.

I figured, with the way my opponent had been playing and refusing to leave early, that I had been in a $3 game. It turned out that it was merely a "hard-fought penny"-- or about $0.0075 by that point.

Good times. smile

#2 2015-04-20 15:29:58

claspa

Re: Memorable CM Games

Oh, yes, I remember the "hard-fought penny". smile Good times indeed.

Board footer