CORDIAL MINUET ENSEMBLE

??????

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-11 13:43:41

Constantine Clover

What's your favorite first round strategy?

The first round of a new game is really different from all others. You don't know your adversary's skills, if he likes to bluff, etc.
What strategy do you prefer using during the 1rst round (and why)?

Personally, since the ante is so low, I don't mind betting up to 5, even if I'm losing. As for the rows, I try to give my opponent the lowest high score possible, and I pick at random.

Usually, this lets me get some read on the other's play style and skills. Also, since I don't use the strategy past round 1, I feel it misdirects the other guy.

#2 2015-05-11 18:27:50

Discordant Mind

Re: What's your favorite first round strategy?

I like to throw something out there completely at random, then fold if I receive anything but a high number. Or I'll throw the typical 'lowest high number' strategy out there, then on the next hand I'll send him the lowest number on the row he's expecting to throw him off. Of course, newer players won't fall for this, and sometimes it ends up backfiring.

Last edited by Discordant Mind (2015-05-11 18:28:52)

#3 2015-05-11 19:35:41

Apreche

Re: What's your favorite first round strategy?

There are three very basic strategies for picking my row, and the opposite of those 3 for my opponent's row. I pick two at random that don't conflict. I know the opponent is trying to figure out if I follow a pattern, so they can counter it, so I want to give them some false info to start.

1) Give my opponent a row with all bad/middling numbers to minimize their score.
2) Find a row that has the highest quantity of low numbers, to increase the odds they get a bad row.
3) Random.

The counter rules for picking my own column

1) Pick the column that gives the highest score in the row they would pick if they were following strategy 1 above.
2) Assuming they pick according to rule 2 above, pick the row with the best score.
3) Random

When I do random, I actually roll a d6.

I only do this in the earliest few rounds at low stakes to gauge my opponent's behavior.

Board footer