CORDIAL MINUET ENSEMBLE

??????

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-12 14:24:42

The_Doctor

Problems I have with anonymity and match length

Hello everybody.

I’m not sure if this has been discussed already. But because of the limited match length which is caused by the quickly rising ante, it is hard for me to gauge my opponents skill/strategy and because of the in-game anonymity you can’t make assumptions about your opponent, because you already played him/her before etc.
I feel this problem gets intensified by that fact that a lot of the better players hide their strategies during the first rounds, when the ante is still low. That way effectively gauging your opponents strategy usually only starts later in the game when the antes are already up and rising, leading to committing situations pretty early.

I propose this could be improved by raising the ante only every second round after it reached a value of for example 3/4/5. What do you think? Do you think it's a problem, too?

Cheers.

#2 2015-05-12 14:31:43

Apreche

Re: Problems I have with anonymity and match length

What you seem to think is a negative aspect, is actually a positive aspect. The game is hard and rewards better players. That is a good thing. If better players are hiding their strategies during the first rounds, then you should be doing the same thing as well.

#3 2015-05-12 14:52:31

The_Doctor

Apreche wrote:

What you seem to think is a negative aspect, is actually a positive aspect. The game is hard and rewards better players. That is a good thing. If better players are hiding their strategies during the first rounds, then you should be doing the same thing as well.

I am doing it. As I pointed out, a lot of people do it. It makes sense, the first rounds don't matter that much, it's not worth taking a big risk for a very small pot. I just feel the middle phase, when starting pots are beginning to matter and it might be worth stealing pots here and there, compared to the later phase where playing any pot is a big commitment, feels a bit short. And during that last phase you usually are forced to make game deciding decisions, which is hard, if you don't really know how your opponent plays.
The middle phase is the most interesting to me, because the players can't ignore those pots ( and at the same time don't have to risk losing the match yet ), so they have to try to play at least some kind of winning strategy.

#4 2015-05-12 15:03:17

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, the ante rising schedule may be adjusted at some point in the future.  I'm waiting for more serious, long-term play to happen before I do that, though.

#5 2015-05-12 15:53:36

context fabric

I think the rising ante is perfect the way it is, Ive personally had games go up to round 15 on the ante. Every pick is a chance to work out part of your opponents strategy, so by the end of round 3 ( still a very low ante ) you've already seen your opponents strategy 9 times.

#6 2015-05-12 16:52:49

LiteS

A solid case about match length and ante structure would be to look at JA's play strategy. In my experience, JA rarely plays past round 7, and almost never past round 10. I'm guessing it's to avoid rake along with avoiding risk

#7 2015-05-12 22:30:07

madcatz1999

Personally, I actually prefer high-ante rounds to low-ante rounds.  This is probably because I am a regular hyper-turbo sit-n-go poker player, as well as a mathematician.  I think my edge is a lot higher in those rounds.  There's a lot more math (pot odds, etc.) involved when it comes to betting/bluffing/calling in later rounds.  I get sad when people leave my game after round 6 or 7.

Board footer