CORDIAL MINUET ENSEMBLE

??????

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-29 00:04:46

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Test tournament running right now

A 3-hour tournament is running right now as a test.

The entry fee is $1.00

The entry fees go directly into the prize pool and are not used to fund your matches in the tournament.  Your tournament matches must be funded out of your remaining account balance after your entry fee is paid.

The target game stake for matches in the tournament is 1 cent.

You will see this stake level highlighted in your client.  Only games played for 1 cent count toward the tournament.  If you have entered the tournament, you will be blocked from accidentally joining 1-cent games with non-tournament players.  However, you can still play at other stake levels during the tournament---those games will not affect your tournament standing one way or the other.

The winners are determined according to who has the most net profit at 1-cent games against other tournament players by the deadline.  Play as many or as few games as you want during the tournament---it's profit that counts.

A leaderboard is here, along with a count-down:

http://cordialminuet.com/gameServer/ser … t_twins_30

If you want a preview of prizes for various numbers of players, look here, where the hypothetical prizes for a 20-player tournament are displayed:

http://cordialminuet.com/gameServer/ser … players=20

Prizes will be paid automatically into the winners' account balances within four minutes after the tournament deadline.

Note:

To prevent collusion between accounts, you will stop being partnered with another player after net profit of 2 cents or more has moved between you.  Thus, you cannot win by feeding off of one fish player or dummy account repeatedly.  If you are winning and losing back-and-forth against a given player, however, you can play an unlimited number of games until the net profit for one player from that pairing crosses the 2-cent mark.

#2 2015-05-29 00:48:16

jere

Re: Test tournament running right now

Silly question, but you're not counting the entry fee against profits are you? The reason I ask is CD was suddenly hit with all these people losing exactly $1.

Also, huh?

The target game stake for matches in the tournament is 1 cent.

You will see this stake level highlighted in your client.  Only games played for 10 cents count toward the tournament.

Last edited by jere (2015-05-29 00:49:36)

Canto Delirium: a Twitter bot for CM. Also check out my strategy guide!

#3 2015-05-29 01:05:09

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Fixed that 10-cent thing.  That was a mistake in copying the text from the last tournament.

I'm looking into how the entry fees work into the leaderboard formulas...

#4 2015-05-29 01:17:06

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Okay, yes, it does affect the Profit leaderboard, since that is computed based on the raw balance (plus all withdrawals, minus all deposits).  Buying in lowers your profit, unless you win a prize later, just like buying into a $1 game lowers your profit if you don't leave later with $1.

HOWEVER, the prize you win does not count as a deposit, so counts the same as money won playing a regular game on the profit leaderboard (buyin lowers your balance, and thus your profit, and a prize raises your balance and profit).

HOWEVER 2:  the Profit Ratio leaderboard completely ignores tournament buy-ins and prizes.  This leaderboard tracks only profit relative to what you've risked in the main game (including buy-ins that were part of tournament matches... just not the entry fee or the prizes, which are outside the matches).

So.... Profit means profit from all sources (including amulet prizes, tournament prizes, etc.)

Profit Ratio means profit in matches relative to how much you risked in matches.

One tiny difference between a tournament buy-in and a match buy-in on the Profit leaderboard is that your CURRENT match buy-in is hidden until it's over (factored out of your profit) so you can't reload the leaderboard and find out who you are playing against right now (who's balance just went down by 66 cents?).  Tournament buy-ins are NOT hidden this way, which is why your twitter bot saw them all post right away.

#5 2015-05-29 03:21:55

shotgun

I enjoyed that, even though I made a really stupid mistake in the last like five minutes! I will totally join another competition

#6 2015-05-29 03:40:48

I noticed that you could receive a prize even if you've played no games. Was that intentional? I had thought it was discussed before. It's not unfair though (you won't be winning back your buy-in).

Sadly these short contests are still awfully susceptible to collusion  - with the 2 cent profit limit you can play 3 games and win $0.0297 profit, which seems like it's doomed to always be high up the scoreboard and make collusion profitable. Is the contest this weekend going to run for 3 hours? I think all the amulet contests we had showed that longer contests can work

Hah, I wasn't paying attention, but luckily I happened to finish off my last opponent a few seconds before the end of the contest, so managed to win back some of by buy-in. Contest ended and prizes paid between when I won and when I left.
tourny_winnings_50.png

You didn't fix the 10 cent typo.

Last edited by .. (2015-05-29 03:42:41)

#7 2015-05-29 04:34:53

Cobblestone

Aw man, I missed this one!

Question about this, though:

jasonrohrer wrote:

So.... Profit means profit from all sources (including amulet prizes, tournament prizes, etc.)

The $30 I won from the first amulet contest didn't count toward my profit, which jere mentioned before is how it usually works. So should it have counted? Sorry if I'm misunderstanding!

Last edited by Cobblestone (2015-05-29 04:35:30)

#8 2015-05-29 05:27:35

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Whoops... Yeah, you're right, Amulet contest payouts do count as deposits (I do those manually, as deposits in the admin interface), so they don't count toward profit.

But tournament prizes DO count, because they are handled automatically by the server, so they go directly into your balance.  This makes some sense, because there is a buy-in, so you are paying attention to profitability of entering tournaments.

The amulet prizes are just gravy.  Since there is no entry fee, those prizes are kind of like an infinite return on investment.  Also, the amulet stuff was a one-time thing, so I didn't spend as much time integrating or automating the prize payments there.

Still, neither tournament prizes nor amulet prizes affect profit ratio, which is dollars won vs dollars risked in the regular game.

Sorry for the confusion here....  I implemented this stuff quite a long time ago.

#9 2015-05-29 05:36:02

Cobblestone

Ah! Ok, that makes sense then. I didn't realize that contest was awarded manually.

Board footer