CORDIAL MINUET ENSEMBLE

??????

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-17 20:38:05

jasonrohrer
Administrator

New rising leave penalty

The leave penalty starts at 6 coins (same as before), but now rises one coin every two rounds, like this:

round --> penalty
1 --> 6
2 --> 6
3 --> 7
4 --> 7
5 --> 8
6 --> 8

This rising rate can be tweaked easily through server settings.  Right now, it is 0.5.  It crosses the ante in round 10 and 11, becoming less than the ante by round 12.

This still seems to encourage people to leave when the antes get high in round 12+.

Maybe the leave penalty should grow at the same rate as the ante (like, always the ante + 5 coins).  Or maybe it should start lower and then grow at the same rate?

#2 2015-06-19 16:11:00

Dan_Dan84

Re: New rising leave penalty

jasonrohrer wrote:

Leaving should be a tough decision, not an obvious strategy once the ante gets large enough.

I feel that this new rising leaving penalty has made it tougher to decide when to leave. I had been doing what Jeopardy Alcohol was reported as doing (leaving around the 10-coin ante mark), because hey, JA's been doing something right, and there must be a mathematically sound reason for avoiding 10+ coin antes (even when nobody has clearly won).

I've stopped doing that, because the higher leave penalty would often transform a decent win into a marginal win. I feel that it's worth my while to play one more round and attempt to get a bigger lead, or even reduce my opponent to zero. This also leads to more exciting games where that "one more round" leads to a comeback!

In any case, I think the new leave penalty is about right. Perhaps still a tad low, but better than before. As I recall, the initial leave penalty had two purposes:

1) Prevent first-pick all-in bullying, where the bully could steal a few antes and leave (potentially a very big problem at higher stakes).

2) Encourage people to have full games together, going at least up to ten rounds (rather than quickly playing a few aggressive rounds and leaving).

Board footer