CORDIAL MINUET ENSEMBLE

??????

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-07-31 22:11:58

Cobblestone

Live Streaming on Sunday

RHL1Nxw.jpg

Jere and I will be playing a few games against each other this Sunday morning (PDT) in order to create a video that shows both sides of the game.
I'll be live streaming my end on Twitch while he and I chat on Skype. I'll post the link to the channel here when we're about to go live.

Feel free to drop in and watch!

Edit: Clarified the time zone!

Last edited by Cobblestone (2015-07-31 22:13:39)

#2 2015-08-01 06:25:46

Re: Live Streaming on Sunday

Sweet!

What kind of time in the morning? 10am PDT? Looks almost certain that I'll be asleep.

Would be nice if a recording of Jere's side is released later. Just the recordedGame file would do.

Last edited by .. (2015-08-01 06:27:12)

#3 2015-08-02 04:53:58

Cobblestone

He and I are going to start setting up at around 10am, so it should start a little after that.
And ya, we're going to be combining footage of both sides of the game into a video! big_smile

#4 2015-08-02 13:31:16

OK, I'll see it later I guess. Whenever it's available. Good luck!

#5 2015-08-02 14:41:29

Dan_Dan84

Midnight in my timezone, but I'm off on Monday, so what they hey. Hopefully my internet connection is co-operative... and hopefully you don't end up all-in on the first hand!

#6 2015-08-02 16:59:58

Professor Chin

The setup starts in 6.66 seconds... smile

#7 2015-08-02 17:20:37

Cobblestone

Awesome!! Hah!
Ok, so we're just about ready, I think. We should be starting within the next five minutes or so. I'll be streaming it on my personal Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/manedcalico
Hopefully I don't embarrass myself big_smile

#8 2015-08-02 18:20:06

Professor Chin

Nice game!!! Really, thank you for sharing guys!
There were a couple of REALLY tense moments... big_smile

#9 2015-08-02 20:02:19

Cobblestone

Yay! Thanks so much for watching!!
Oh man, ya! It got seriously intense a few times! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Edit: Wanted to let you know that one of my friends who watched the stream made an account! Thought that was kinda cool big_smile

Last edited by Cobblestone (2015-08-03 02:56:27)

#10 2015-08-03 18:01:10

jere

Here's the final video: https://youtu.be/_qJvdQtyJAU

It's 2 hours long. We played 3 games. Apologies if it's not super intense. We spend a lot of time just discussing the game.

I'd be interested to know if third parties can follow what's going on with the split screen. This is, to my knowledge, the first split screen CM video that has been made.

Canto Delirium: a Twitter bot for CM. Also check out my strategy guide!

#11 2015-08-05 04:18:50

Dan_Dan84

This is a cool thing you've done. Thanks for doing it! It's a shame I had to leave early, but my poor internet connection just wasn't handling it.

I've just watched the first game you played. I'm sure it must have been interesting to look back and see some of those hands where you folded and wondered "Was he bluffing?" I like the one where Cobblestone got the 13 and Creature got the 7, Cobblestone bet a few coins and Creature folded. Sometimes even small bluffs work-- especially when the ante starts getting large!

This reminds me of something else I've noticed about CM. I know the game was designed in such a way that your opponent becomes l'Abisso, a faceless entity you're trying to beat down in order to take their money. But I think CM is a lot of fun when you can talk directly to your opponent. I've introduced the game to some local friends, and playing them in person, with laptops back to back, is a lot of fun-- telling them after they folded that you had the winning hand when you didn't (or vice-versa), or else teasing them about constantly folding is a lot of fun. Even playing while chatting on Chatzy can introduce a nice extra dimension to the game.

I know this is nothing new and it's been discussed before, and I like the aesthetic and thematic reasons for playing against l'Abisso. Most of the time I savour the eerie silence, punctuated by the occasional "make a move" chime or the movement of coins.

#12 2015-08-05 22:46:22

AnoHito

I still think that the lack of a community aspect is why Cordial Minuet is struggling so much right now. Without being able to interact with the person you are playing with, the game is nothing but staring at numbers and calculating things in your head. It gets really tedious if you do that too much. If Cordial Minuet had a chat feature built into the client, I might not have given it up.

Either way, I think your video was really cool and I would like to see more of these! I still enjoy Cordial Minuet as a game, even if I've decided I don't want to play it, and I tend to watch "let's play" videos more than I actually play games anyway. Maybe Cordial Minuet might find new life by becoming a spectator "sport". It worked for poker.

#13 2015-08-06 01:10:50

jere

An experiment we had talked about is somehow editing one board so it matched the other (rotation and/or color). Rotation is difficult to do without a custom client but I wanted to take a shot at color swapping.

Here's the results: https://youtu.be/hHDNFX-hVec

This is just a couple rounds, where I lose pretty badly in one, to demonstrate the idea. The color swapping didn't work perfectly, but that's about the best I know how to do in Premiere. I immediately feel like it makes more sense. Still, the thing I really want is an announcer narrating the match.

Thanks for the feedback ya'll.

Last edited by jere (2015-08-06 01:13:42)

#14 2015-08-06 18:56:18

Cobblestone

Yay!! Thank you guys so much for joining the stream and watching the video!

Seeing both sides is actually really eye-opening. There are plenty of times where I folded with a winning hand or second guessed myself. I'd love to do more of these videos! I'm also going to make some flashcards explaining the game that I can use as wallpapers behind the live stream. So anyone new joining can understand the game easier.

Ano, I agree about the community aspect. Actually, my friend who just joined because of our livestream was saying the same thing. Thematically, it makes sense to isolate players from each other behind anonymity, but community is what keeps a game alive. I love this community, but not everyone who plays the game finds the forum.

I'm going to keep streaming and making videos. Hopefully that'll help extend the reach of the community further than the forums.

Also, Jere and I want to do more of these side-by-sides, and not just between us! If any of you would be interested, let us know! big_smile

#15 2015-08-09 23:44:45

CellBlock

I could be interested in that.  I've been meaning to show this to some friends, and this might be a good way to do that.

I've got OBS, so if you've got any tips on configuring that for CM, I'd like to hear them.

EDIT:  I'll add that I'm inducement patent, so you can go ahead and look me up and stuff.

Last edited by CellBlock (2015-08-09 23:48:29)

#16 2015-08-10 22:56:18

Cobblestone

Hey, thanks CellBlock! That'd be awesome! Ya, streaming and these side-by-side videos really seem like a good idea to show off the game to more people!

I used OBS for my side of the match. I'll do a little write-up tonight when I'm home about setting it up. It's fairly straight forward if I remember correctly.

Thanks!

#17 2015-08-14 01:24:03

Cobblestone

I haven't forgotten about writing up an OBS guide! I've been working on the tutorial slides for my livestream. I'll hop on OBS this weekend and do a little write up.

Also, mildly off-topic, I found this thing the NY Times is doing that you guys might find interesting:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015 … aders.html
In my head I feel like it uses the same sort of strategic thinking as CM, and I was only 2 points off!

#18 2015-08-14 12:18:11

jere

^Neat! I was exactly 2 points off also. Spoilers:

I guessed 21 and it was 19. I don't know if it's changing over time or anything. I really like the point about k-step thinking. I was thinking (2/3)^2 times 50 which is about 22.

Last edited by jere (2015-08-14 12:18:38)

#19 2015-08-15 03:42:38

Cobblestone

Awesome! I don't know how to do that spoiler thingy, so I'll be vague... it was the same number but I was 2 points the other direction! It is updating live apparently, so as people guess lower and lower, that number should change! Then again, there are some people who don't think that far ahead and drive the average back the other direction.

I feel like I get in that same headspace when I play CM. My opponent is countering but I'm countering his countering. Those are some of the most intense matches big_smile

#20 2015-08-19 02:55:13

joshwithguitar

Spoilers:

I ended up going way too low which I guess was partly to do with not really knowing what type of people would play. Around 30% seemed to be a ridiculous average as I assumed no one would think so little about the question as to think that other people would just pick randomly. I was playing as if everyone realised it was a race to the bottom, which in hindsight wasn't very clever.

Board footer