Administrator

How to play

Watch the video posted here:

http://cordialminuet.com/foyer.php

#2 2014-11-21 06:58:41

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: How to play

If you're having trouble finding an opponent, note that you can stay at the WAITING FOR OPPONENT screen forever until someone joins you.

Put the game in the background and do something else while you wait.  The game will chime when someone finally joins you.

Make sure you don't minimize the game---that might pause it, in which case the game will stop checking for opponents.

#3 2014-12-11 07:59:04

sparkdale

This is probably dumb, but what's the link? I'm on the forums and get the splash page but so far that's all I see.

Thanks for the invite!

#4 2014-12-11 15:46:32

jasonrohrer
Administrator

See this other stuck topic, "Getting the Game":

http://cordialminuet.com/originensemble … c.php?id=2

In your invite email, I warned you that this was a back door, not a front door  smile

#5 2014-12-22 18:41:23

NeatNit

Hi.

I just received the email invite today and didn't even finish watching the how to play video. I can't. There's something too distracting.

The Hebrew letters on the top and left of the board are in a weird order. Some of them are in alphabetical order but there are jumps. both forwards and backwards in the alphabet.

Also, Hebrew goes right to left, not left to right, so it's weird to have the rows numbered on the left instead of on the right.

Might want to switch to some LTR language if that looks too weird to you wink

#6 2014-12-22 21:21:51

jasonrohrer
Administrator

The ordering is intentional.  They are NOT in alphabetical or numerical order.

See if you can figure out what order they are in...

#7 2014-12-22 21:37:23

jasonrohrer
Administrator

As for the labeling of the rows on the left, well.... this is a Euro-centric co-opting of Hebrew for mystical purposes, for sure.  I've seen plenty of ancient Euro-occult sources that use Hebrew embedded in otherwise-non-Hebrew diagrams and tables.  In the case of my usage, there's also Italian words and Arabic numerals on the same page, all of which have their own dominant orientations.

#8 2015-02-10 09:25:20

marek

I am too stupid to get the rules of the game after watching the video twice and losings/winning some first cents smile
Are the rules written down somewhere?

For me it would be helpful to have a match explained with screenshots.

#9 2015-02-10 12:00:04

Here is a match explained with screenshots:
http://kotaku.com/a-mildly-satanic-new- … 1638083439
This is an early version of the game with different graphics. The main thing that's changed since then is that there's now an extra round of betting at the end. Also, the tribute taken by the house is different, and the score graph updates in more situations, but those are minor details.

Here's another article for a more recent version:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/11 … al-minuet/
I'm afraid I don't know which article to recommend without sitting down for half an hour and rereading them.

Finally, have a look through this article by jere:
http://cordialminuet.com/incrementensem … .php?id=55
It assumes that you already know the rules, but it explains the implications of the rules.

#10 2015-02-10 17:58:49

jasonrohrer
Administrator

No screenshots yet.  I realize that different people learn in different ways (visual vs. auditory, etc), so I should probably make a guide with diagrams.  Maybe someone else is inspired to take this on?

Here are the rules:

Both players see the same 6x6 grid of numbers, from 1 to 36, arranged in a magic square (so that each row, each column, and each diagonal sums to 111).

You are green, your opponent is red.  You pick columns, your opponent picks rows.

Each round lasts for three picking turns.  You pick two columns and your opponent picks two rows.  You pick one column for yourself in green, and one for your opponent in red.  "One for me, one for you.  Green for me, red for you."

Your opponent is doing the same thing, but picking rows, taking one for themselves and giving one to you.  You both pick simultaneously, in secret.

The green row that they give to you will intersect with the green column that you give yourself.  The cell where the green row and column intersect is added into your score.

You don't get to see what row your opponent picked for themselves, or what number they scored this turn.

There's a betting step after each pick.  During the betting, players can optionally bet more coins into the pot.  Bets happen simultaneously, with the person who bet less getting to see the higher bet and match, raise, or fold.  The person who bet more does NOT get to see the lower bet unless the lower better folds.  The person who bet more only sees the match or the raise.

On subsequent turns, you pick from the remaining columns, and your opponent picks from the remaining rows, until none are left.  There are 6 columns to chose from on the first turn, 4 columns to chose from on the second turn, and only 2 columns left to chose from on the third turn.  "On for me, one for you."  Until the whole board is full.

By that point, each player will have scored three numbers at their three intersection points.  You still don't know what cells your opponent scored, but you have quite a bit of information.

Then, there's one final reveal turn, where you get to pick one of your numbers to show  your opponent.  Your opponent does the same, and you pick simultaneously in secret.

After that, there's one final betting step.

If both players make it to the end without folding, then all scores are revealed, and the player with the highest total score (their three numbers added together) wins the coins in the pot.

If one player folds along the way, no information is revealed, and the player who did not fold wins the pot.

Play continues across multiple rounds until one player runs out of coins or leaves.  There is currently a 6 coin penalty for leaving, paid to the other player.  If you have fewer than 6 coins left when you leave, your remaining coins are given to the other player.

An ante is put into the pot by each player at the start of each round.  The ante starts at one coin and goes up by one in each subsequent round.

#11 2015-05-17 05:07:58

shotgun

is there an extended manual anywhere? i'm looking for things like keyboard commands, features i may not have noticed (like clicking on a square seems to do the same thing as hovering over it, but it locks it in? and i'm not sure why), i think there's ways to record/replay games...stuff like that.

#12 2015-05-17 06:40:53

There isn't. It would be nice to have everything in one place.

There are keyboard controls but I don't use them and don't know what they are.

The idea with clicking on a square is that it lets you then hover over the score graph to see what the individual possible scores are, but I've never had a reason to do that. I'm not aware of any other hidden features, other than that you can hover over the squares at pretty much any time, which shows a few different things.

All play sessions are recorded and saved in the recordedGames folder. To play a session back, copy a file into the playbackGame folder. While playing back a game there are additional keyboard controls, but you must first enable them by editing settings/enableSpeedControlKeys.ini to contain a "1". They are: ^ to slow down the FPS, & for normal FPS, * through ) to speed up. (Note, on Linux vsync seems to be automatic, and has to be disabled externally (export vblank_mode=0) to increase framerate). Interrupting or reaching the end of the playback will cause DENIED BY SERVER errors, nothing to be concerned about.

There are also various other things you can adjust in settings/, like hue shifting for colour-blindness.

Last edited by .. (2015-05-17 06:43:57)

#13 2015-05-17 17:15:34

LiteS

Keyboard controls I've figured out so far:

Choosing columns can be handled by the numeral keys 1-6, first press is your choice, 2nd is opponent's
F is Fold
Enter is Confirm/Bet
Up/Down increases or decreases bet
= is screenshot
left right works to choose final reveal column

#14 2015-05-17 17:24:07

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Keyboard controls in a match:

1-6:  pick columns (first green, then red).
Enter:  commit move or bet
Up/Down Arrow:  adjust bet by one coin
Page Up/Down:  adjust bet by ten coins
F:  Fold

Mousing over a square is asking, "What scores are possible if I (or my opponent) actually got this square?"

If you mouse over an uncolored square, the score graph shows you what would happen if you got that square.  If you mouse over a green square in a green column (like before your opponent's pick has come through), the same thing happens.

If you mouse over a red square (one of your opponent's possible squares), the score graph shows you what would happen if your opponent had that square.

Clicking on a square "locks" in it place so that you can go over and mouse around the score graph.  Clicking elsewhere clears the selected square.

#15 2015-05-17 18:00:44

shotgun

thanks!!

Board footer